tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jul 03 20:51:27 1996

Re: Big Enterprise

kaylar writes:
>I understand 'a' not merely to mean big as in size, but a term for
>great, such as juH'a' would be a mansion, not a big house which if my
>tlhIngan doesn't fail mean would be juH tIn.

majQa' -- lujbe'pu' tlhIngan HollIj.

The augmentive and diminutive noun suffixes don't modify the thing being
referred to, they modify the meaning of the noun.  {qulHom} isn't just a
small fire; it's more like a spark.  {meb'a'} doesn't mean a big guest;
it could indicate "guest of honor".