tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jul 03 21:14:54 1996

Re: KLBC: I would like to translate my name

Rick Rottman writes:
>My copy of TKD tells me that:
>
>Rot/Red= Doq
>man= loD

Very close -- {Doq} is a verb which properly means "be red" (or orange).

>Since tlhingon speech is NOUN, VERB, and ANYTHING ELSE...

I don't know what you think this has to do with translating words, so I
can't help correct any misunderstanding you might have about it.

>...would it be correct
>then to translate <Rottman> into loD'Doq?

[Where did that {'} come from?  Do you perhaps work for Paramount? :-/]

We don't have any rules for combining verbs and nouns to make new words.
More importantly, we don't have any rules for interpreting them if they
do get put together.

If you leave the words separated, {loD Doq} means "red (or orange) man",
which is about what you want.  See TKD section 4.4 for an explanation of
how verbs can be used with an adjectival meaning.

>Would Doq'loD be incorrect?  It "sounds" better that way......

Keeping the words separate, {Doq loD} means "the man is red (or orange)"
as a complete sentence.