tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jul 03 18:33:25 1996

Re: KLBC

Dave Yeung writes:
>{peqIm tlhIngan Hol bojatlhbogh!  tlhIHvaD jIjatlhneS!}
>Okay... that was supposed to be "Attention you (pl.) who speak
>Klingon.  I am honoured to speak with you (all)."

Very close.  The first sentence actually looks like it's addressed to
"the Klingon language which you speak" instead of "you who speak it".
You'll have to make "you all" the explicit head noun of the {-bogh}
clause:  {tlhIngan Hol bojatlhbogh tlhIH'e'}.  (The use of the suffix
{-'e'} to mark the head noun when there is both a subject and object
is not mentioned in TKD; it was suggested by a very skilled speaker of
Klingon who used to be a regular on this list, and approved by Marc
Okrand.)

>{jIHvaD QaghmeywIj tI'ang!}
>Please feel free to correct my grammar, spelling, etc.

You're doing fine.

>{tlhIngan Hol vIqelDI', Sayu' vIneHqu'}
>That's supposed to mean something like "I have a lot to ask you (all)
>about tlhIngan Hol."  Is this understandable?

It's not only understandable, it's one of the best ways to talk about
questions that I've seen.

>Well, I'll ask two questions now and save the rest for later.
>
>1) I've seen the .GIF file of the {pIqaD} alphabet.  If this is correct,
>   do the letters have any names?

This pIqaDqoq isn't sanctioned by Paramount.  The symbols aren't even
necessarily "letters" the way we think of them.  Your question is still
valid for the romanized spelling we use, though; what is the name of the
letter {ch}?  There was a discussion on the list a while ago; there were
three basic proposals for naming them.

1) Take the sound of each consonant and put a consistent sound after it.
For instance, {bI', chI', DI', ghI'...}  Put a consistent sound before
each vowel: {'a, 'e, 'I, 'o, 'u}.

2) Pick a word from the dictionary to represent each sound.  Subproposals
included choosing the first word, the first noun, or the first verb.

3) Pick a syllable that starts with the sound, but is *not* found in the
dictionary.  This yielded a rather "organic" collection of letter names.

Look in the archives for November 1995; the thread subject was "Q". :-)
Look at http://www.kli.org/tlhIngan-Hol/1995/Nov95/ on the web.

>{DaH jIjatlhta'.  pItlh!}
>Well, that's all for now!

batlh bIjatlhta'.  majQa'!