tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jul 04 17:56:37 1996

Re: KLBC

Peter Watkins (nagh) writes:
>DanuDmeH cha' mughghachmey vIngeHlI'
><I'm sending two translations for you to examine>

The word {mughghachmey} is pretty bad.  In an interview in HolQeD 3:3,
Okrand clarifies that {-ghach} shouldn't be used on a verb without any
intervening verb suffixes.  While it can be understood, it isn't quite
"normal".  The other problem is that it would be understood as meaning
the *act*, not the result of the action.  "Translation" in this sense
would be the process of translating.  You want to refer to what comes
out of that process: the words which have been translated.  In Klingon:
{mu'mey mughlu'ta'bogh}.  If you want to include the fact that *you* did
the translating, you can call them {mu'mey vImughta'bogh} "words which
I have translated".

>1. Actions work where words fail
>
>        pIj batlh lu'angbe' mu'mey 'ach batlh lu'ang vangghachmey
>        <Often words don't reveal honour but actions do>

{vangghachmey} has the same problem with {-ghach}.  Consider {ta'mey}.

The original sentence can be translated much more closely if you want:
{lujtaHvIS mu'mey Qap ta'mey}.

>2. No goals, no glory.
>
>        ngoQmey Daghajbe'chugh vaj biQapbe'
>        <If you don't have goals then you won't succeed>

Fine.  There's a new verb introduced in TKW: {Hutlh} "lack".  It might be
appropriate in place of {ghajbe'}.