tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 01 18:32:15 1996

Re: _Julius Caesar_ quote

Beau-Kevin Morgan <[email protected]> writes:
>pe'vIl mIS'a' jach veS qu'Negh QeymoHHa'moH
>-I hope I haven't _completely_ mangled this!

"He shouts intensely 'great confusion';
he causes war's be-fierce-soldiers to untighten [something]."

It's two sentences, so they should either be separated clearly or joined
unambiguously with a conjunction.  The original line uses the conjunction
"and" between them; I expect you would want to keep as close to it as you
can, so you should use {'ej} to connect them.

These should be written as commands, using the imperative verb prefix
{yI-}.  Without a prefix they are merely statements, reporting what an
unspecified subject is doing.

The first sentence is a quote, which itself acts a little like a pair of
adjacent sentences.  The adverbial {pe'vIl} is part of the command, not
the quote; I'd arrange the words {pe'vIl yIjach mIS'a'}.  The quote can
either precede or follow the verb of saying.

What do you mean by the word {qu'negh}?  If you intended to separate the
two syllables, it means "The soldiers are fierce."  We don't have a rule
for combining verbs and nouns into new words; there's no way to interpret
how this should be read if it's a single word.  [Most attempts I've seen
to translate this line refer to {veS targhmey} "the targs of war".]

You used two {-moH} suffixes on the verb in the second sentence; that is
not permitted.  The so-called rover {-Ha'} is *always* placed immediately
after the root verb, never after another suffix.  The dictionary already
has the entry {QeyHa'moH} "loosen".

Would you like to try again, or would you like to see how I translate it?