tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jan 31 20:12:06 1996

Re: KLBC: More Klingon Taglines...

ghItlh vanya:
>toH! De' ngeb ngevpu' qochwI'! DaH reH mu'ghomwIj vIqengbejtaH 'ej
>Suypu' jatDu' tun vIvoqbe'choH!
>
>(comments/corrections welcomed... one thing, is it better to say "Suypu'
>jatDu' nep", or would "tun" be understood? I wanted to be non-literal but
>I'm not sure Klingon is cut out for that ;)

In this context, the meaning of {jatDu' tun} is apparent.  tlhIngan Hol
is quite able to express metaphors, and as long as the context is there,
the meaning is usually clear.

{nep} isn't what I'd normally consider a "stative" verb, so {jatDu' nep}
doesn't sound right.  It would have to be {nepbogh jatDu'}.  You'll have
fun trying to figure out the word order when you add {Suypu'}, though!