tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jan 11 08:25:43 1996

Re: perpetual Today is a good day to die

According to [email protected]:

> charghwI' writes:
>
> >DaHjaj batlh jIHeghqang!...
>
> >Any questions?
>
> Yes. I don't think the original phrase conveys the idea of "me" or "I", but
> rather
> "people in general". If you say, "Today is a good day to die" it doesn't
> indicate the person(s) for whom dying is good. That must come out of context.
> So I  guess my question is, Would it be possible to say DaHjaj batlh
> Heghqanglu' or ..Heghqang vay' if you wanted to keep it ambiguous like the
> 'original'.

I think it is grammatically acceptable, but it seems a little
wishy-washy. My one quote from this list that I keep on my
bulletin board in my office is from Richard Kennaway in
response to Nick Nicholas:

Nick: Is it just me (and I know for a fact it isn't), or does
talking in Klingon actually *force* you to be rude?

Richard: No. Talking Terran forces you to be wittering, vague,
and indecisive.

I see the "Today is a good day to die," as a personal statement
that the speaker has considered the decision she or he is about
to make and is fully ready to face the consequences. It is a
thing to be said by a leader who wishes to be inspirational to
his troops, proving that he or she is not the sort of coward
who stays behind the lines and orders others to attack.

If you are standing next to someone and they say, "Today, I am
ready to die with honor," are you likely to say, "Gee, that's
nice, but I kinda think I'll just hang back and maybe just go
home if things look too rough."? Likely not. Likely, you will
either feel inspired to join with your comrad with your passion
full force into battle... or at least you will be too
embarrassed by her or his honorable example to do less.

Now, if that same person said, "Today somebody somewhere is
ready to die with honor!", then, well, I don't care HOW
impressive a speaker she or he is, I'm likely to respond that I
need to wash my hair...

The blood of the warrior runs cold.

> On another note, your comments about avoiding over-literalism seem important
> too. I wouldn't hesitate to take that into account as well.

Yes. Consider the EFFECT of the words you choose.

> Acid Rainman

charghwI'
--

 \___