tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jan 10 13:22:40 1996

Re: perpetual Today is a good day to die

charghwI' writes:

>DaHjaj batlh jIHeghqang!

>or even

>DaHjaj batlh jIHegh vIneH!

>Which you use depends upon your mood.

>Any questions?

Yes. I don't think the original phrase conveys the idea of "me" or "I", but
rather
"people in general". If you say, "Today is a good day to die" it doesn't
indicate the person(s) for whom dying is good. That must come out of context.
So I  guess my question is, Would it be possible to say DaHjaj batlh
Heghqanglu' or ..Heghqang vay' if you wanted to keep it ambiguous like the
'original'.

On another note, your comments about avoiding over-literalism seem important
too. I wouldn't hesitate to take that into account as well.

Acid Rainman

PS Pardon my lurking. Have been busy with work. $$$

Back to archive top level