tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jan 10 09:56:23 1996

Re: newbie comments

According to Jarno Peschier:

> At 12:38 3-01-96 -0800, you wrote:
>
> >majQa'! jIQochbe'qu'.
> >Do'Ha' mu'ghom vISovchu'be' 'ach reH paq'a' (TKD) vIlo'laH.
> >
> >Rough Translation: Learn the grammar first, then learn the vocabulary.
>
> jIQochbe'qu' je. That's what I do: I wrote myself a program to do the
> looking up and with the help of that I translate tlhIngan Hol I encounter
> here to immediately try to get to the grammar without actually knowing al
> the vocabulairy involved yet. In that process I of course also pick up
> pieces of vocabulairy, but I'm not "learning vocabulary", as it were (also
> because I lack the time to do that thoroughly ;-)).

I just think about the time you must have spent writing the
program and wonder why you consider yourself to not have time
to learn the vocabulary...

Then I come to my own method of how I got where I am:

1. I learned to recognize (if not remember) the prefixes and
suffixes so I could quickly tell the difference between nouns,
verbs and chuvmey.

2. From 1 I was able to figure out the overall sentence
structure and went to TKD to explain any structures that didn't
initially make sense.

3. Memorizing vocabulary happens whether you try to or not.
Some words just get used a lot and the natural urge to avoid
the pain of looking up every word eventually drives the mind to
remember any word that occurs commonly. Of course, this depends
upon repeated exposure as you attempt to read or write Klingon
text. This is why I DON'T use any computer programs to look up
words. The pain one experiences physically looking up a word in
print is more personally obvious than the hidden pains involved
in typing text into a program and watching the results. Even
though in reality using the program takes AT LEAST as much time
as looking up the words, there is a strange affect that
computers have over people made obvious by the popularity of
the World Wide Web.

People will wait longer for a computer than they will wait for
any other device, media, person or thing. They will type into a
computer that which they would never speak aloud and spend
hours setting up a computer based reference which is less
convenient than the original source of the information.

> Qapla'
> peSHIr

charghwI'
--