tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 16 11:38:23 1996

Re: newbie comments

At 09:59 10-01-96 -0800, you wrote:

>> jIQochbe'qu' je. That's what I do: I wrote myself a program to do the
>> looking up and with the help of that I translate tlhIngan Hol I encounter
>> here to immediately try to get to the grammar without actually knowing al
>> the vocabulairy involved yet. In that process I of course also pick up
>> pieces of vocabulairy, but I'm not "learning vocabulary", as it were (also
>> because I lack the time to do that thoroughly ;-)).
>
>I just think about the time you must have spent writing the
>program

Not that much. I program a lot anyway (I also study Computer Science), as
passtime. When I first started with Klingon I never thought that I would
like it that much to get as far as I have come now. So I just wanted to
program something and I needed an idea. After the program was finished
Klingon got more serious (cause and effect maybe...?). And the time of
writing the program was (grammar) learning time as well, of course.

>and wonder why you consider yourself to not have time
>to learn the vocabulary...

See above. Plus I don't like sitting down saying "And today I start with
learning all words starting with ng-." It doesn't work that way for me at
all. It's not a much as having the actual time (absolute time, measured in
minutes); interest in the things that could fill that time have a lot to do
with it too!

>3. Memorizing vocabulary happens whether you try to or not.
>Some words just get used a lot and the natural urge to avoid
>the pain of looking up every word eventually drives the mind to
>remember any word that occurs commonly. Of course, this depends
>upon repeated exposure as you attempt to read or write Klingon
>text. This is why I DON'T use any computer programs to look up
>words. The pain one experiences physically looking up a word in
>print is more personally obvious than the hidden pains involved
>in typing text into a program and watching the results.

You probabliy have a _very_ valid point there.
Well, esto. It doesn't work for me that way with Klingon (yet)?

Qapla'
peSHIr

          Jarno Peschier, [email protected], 2:2802/245.1@Fido
      162:100/100.1@Agora, 74:3108/102.1@QuaZie, 27:2331/214.1@SigNet
     What was was, before was was was? Before was was was, was was is.

Back to archive top level