tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 09 09:56:56 1996

Re: Something else to think about

>Date: Tue, 9 Jan 1996 07:28:58 -0800
>From: "A T GREENE" <[email protected]>

>Okay, I've just been looking at the issue of the translation of "It
>is a good day to die." Now, try this one for size. It is a phrase
>used by Kang, but never translated into Klingon (mainly because, at
>the time it was spoken, the Klingon language did not exist).

>The phrase is

>			  "Only a fool fights in a burning house."

>I offer

>			  <qachDaq meQbogh SuvtaH qoH neH>

>Any comments?

This is the famous ship-in-which-I-fled problem, which we've hit our ridgy
foreheads against for ages.  The trouble is that Klingon relative clauses
only seem to be usable as subjects or objects in the matrix clause.  See
the interview with Marc Okrand in a recent HolQeD (my HolQeDs are at my
office, and I can't check them now).

~mark

Back to archive top level