tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jan 03 20:33:14 1996

Re: newbie comments

>From the keyboard of Alan Anderson
>
>>> toH!  Isn't translation of what's in your mind and what you have
>>> to say the same a translating a piece of prose?
>
>> Agreed.  Unless of course, you just think in tlhIngan Hol and then
>> write it down.  :-)
>
> ghobe'!  jIQochqu'!  SulughHa'bej!
> Qublu'taHvIS tlhIngan Hol lo'nISbe'lu'.

But, a true native speaker would think in tlhIngan Hol (eg: OVS),
and it would be nice to develop that proficiency.  I don't quite know
why, but thinking about the grammar for what I want to say and then
filling in the blanks with words somehow seems wrong.  :-)  I know it
makes sense, but when I compare it to the way I use my native tongue
(American English) it just seems strange.  I guess I'm just one of those
typical American mono-lingual types at heart.  :-)

> tlhIngan Hol pab'e' buSnISlu' neH.
> mu'mey mughmeH mu'ghom lo'laH vay'.  ngeD mIwvetlh.
> 'ach pab yajlu'meH qeqnISlu'.

Absolutely.  It's just hard to concentrate on the grammar when I'm
trying to read something and I constantly need to look words up.
That's why I have my computer do it for me.  Then I just puzzle out
the meaning (ie: the grammar).  Writing of course is both harder and
easier, because I know what I want to say, it's just difficult to
figure out how to say it.  (Some times I wish I understood how my
brain works in regards to languages.  It sure is not intuitive.
I'm constantly surprised by the fact that linguists aren't crazier
than the average person.  Linguistics sure gives me headaches.  :-)

> pab mughmeH Qatlhqu' Qu'.  qIt Qu' 'ach 'utbe'.
> pab Sovlu'chugh vaj SIbI' chenlaH mu'tlhegh lugh.
> chaq mu'mey'e' mughnISlu' 'ach ngeD Qu'Heyvam.

Thank Kahless for computers.  :-)  Sure makes looking up words easier.

> mughlu' 'e' nIDlu'pa' lughchugh pab vaj Dun ghu'.

ghu'vetlh vItu'jaj

> vaj pab yIghoj!  taghlu'taHvIS potlhchu'be' mu'mey.
> reH mu'ghom lulo'laH taghwI'pu'.  mu'ghom lo'wI'pu' naDHa'nISbe'lu'.
> rut mu'ghom lulo'nIS pabpo'pu'.  rut mu'ghom lo'nISbej "Okrand"'e'!

That makes me feel better.  :-)

> pab ghojlu'taHvIS QIt ngeDchoH mu'mey.

Thanks for the "discussion"/"kick in the pants",  :-)
  qu'

--
.  Joe Steger ([email protected])                                        .
.  "I see nothing!  I hear nothing!  I know nothing!" -- Hans Schultz  .

Back to archive top level