tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Feb 19 15:15:16 1996

Re: KLBC: poHmey

>Any Klingon captain without a chronometer deserves to be
>replaced. If his chronometer is damaged, he should take one
>from a lower ranking soldier, who, in turn, takes one from a
>lower ranking soldier, until in the end, two of the lowest
>ranking soldiers fight over the watch and one of them dies so
>nobody has to do without. It is a simple and effective process.

Good grief!  What has this to do with honor and duty?  That is petty
squabbling, not worthy of a romuluSngan petaQ!  Besides, I haven't noticed
any Klingons carrying around chronometers on Star Trek yet, have you?  Simply
put, everyone needs to ask what the time is once in a while.  Even Klingons.
 Some Klingon, somewhere, must have broken his chronometer!

Qo'noSDaq romuluSngan ghoqwI' HoH tlhIngan 'avwI'.  SuvtaHvIS, tlhIngan
'avwI' tlhaq ghorpu' romuluSngan.  lom nge'ta' latlhpu'.  'avqa'taH 'avwI'.

cha'maHvatlh rep qachDaq ngIvnIS 'avwI'.  *{rep Sovbe'.  chay' rep ghoj?}*
 tlhIngan tlhobnIS!

Of course, the whole point of the braketed part of my little anecdote is that
I don't really know how to say this.  But there must be a way!

Or take the example of a Klingon who wakes up after being drunk.  He is
groggy, and must attend to his tasks.  He needs to know what time it is in
order to know how soon he must work!

I certainly hope your two posts were jokes!

>The simple truth is that the question, if asked at all, will
>probably be idiomatic. Perhaps {rep 'ar ghaj DaH?} English
>says, "What time is it?" French translates to "What hour is
>it?" In sign language, you sign the word "What?" and then point
>to the spot on your left wrist where a watch would be. It is a
>weird question in any language involving measurement, one of
>the most gaping voids in Klingon. Okrand needs to address this
>before we can accept any choice for this.

I agree with you on this point.  We haven't had much luck with the wish list
recently, have we?

SuStel
Hovjaj 96136.7

Back to archive top level