tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Feb 20 08:45:47 1996

Re: KLBC: poHmey

The only canon we have which could be wildly interpreted as a
way to ask what time it is appears in TKD on page 170:

My chronometer has stopped. tlhaqwIj chu'Ha'lu'pu'.

Note that this is also fuel for the use of passive voice as
valid translation for {-lu'}, since "One has disengaged my
chronometer," is probably not an extremely valid translation
here (unless Klingons are even more paranoid than I thought).

This is what I intend to use for "What time is it?" with
possible variations, like {tlhaqwIj nIHlu'pu',} or the slightly
less accusative {loj tlhaqlIj.} If a captain uttered ANY of
these, any honorable crewmember would offer {tlhaqwIj yItlhap!}
and then turn to an inferior and say, {HoDmajvaD tlhaqwIj
vInobpu',} and then await the only honorable response. This is
the polite way to accomplish the series of events I described
earlier. Perhaps the last two guys don't have to kill one
another. The last guy just has to buy another watch.

charghwI'
--

 \___
 o_/ \