tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Feb 19 14:52:40 1996

jIjang (Re: KLBC: HIboQqa' (cha'))

>>ghunchu'wI' (latlhmey je) HIboQqa':
>
>qaboQneS.
>
>>De'vam mughlI' vInIDqa':
>
>nuqjatlh?  "He is translating this information I try again."
>Perhaps you mean "I try again to translate this information."
>That would be {De'vam vImughlI' 'e' vInIDqa'}.

                      DaH vIqaw
       bong {vI-} vIlIjpu' 'ach rut {'e'} vIlIjbej
                     qatlho'neS

>>Mark 1:17, "Then Jesus said to them, 'Follow me and I will make you fishers
>>of men.'"
>>
>>vaj *yaSu jatlhpu': HIghoS, ghotpu' boSwI' SamojmoH 'ej. *maQ 1:17
>
>I don't think {vaj} has the right meaning here.  Its definition is given
>as "so, then, thus, in that case" -- it doesn't seem to indicate an event
>simply following another one in time.  I think it's supposed to refer to
>a cause-and-effect relationship.  I'm not familiar with the reasons behind
>the biblical usage of "then", so maybe it *does* mean "thus" in this case,
>but it doesn't seem right to me.

                    ngoDna' 'oH'a'
         ghItlh TKD 5.4 p56 {vaj Daleghpu'}
           qatlh 'e' DuQuchHa'moHlaw''a'
                  jIHvaD Qap qechlIj
                       jImIS

>Your word order is broken.  Quick refresher course in Klingon sentence
>structure:  OBJECT, then VERB, then SUBJECT.  The subject comes last.
>Who is speaking?  The subject of the sentence is speaking.  Where does
>the subject go?  After the verb.  {jatlhpu' *yaSu}.

                    HIja' HISlaH
                 'e' qay'qu' vIghaj

                <...vIteqlu'pu'...>

>You have an interesting translation of "Follow me" as {HIghoS}.  I don't
>know if "approach me" is any better than {HItlha'}, though.  Maybe you
>could say {HIpab} or {HewIj yIghoS}.

I thought I saw it on the list many moons ago. I use it in the sense of
"Follow-me-along-this-path-which-I-travel" {ghoS (v) - follow (a course)}
rather than {tlha' (v) follow, chase}. I could only see using {HIpab} if I
were talking about the 10 Commandments or something like that. {HewIj
yIghoS}.... hmmm... I like that... but it doesn't "sound" direct enough,
does it? I dunno. What do you think?

>Another quick refresher course in conjunctions:  noun conjunctions follow
>the nouns; sentence conjunctions come between sentences.  {'ej} joins two
>sentences, and must appear between them.

AArrrrrggghh !  Thanks... I'm always screwing that up.

                   <...vIteqlu'pu'...>

>The whole phrase seems almost hopelessly metaphorical anyway.  I don't
>think trying to translate Bible quotes is a productive way to learn the
>Klingon language.

Believe it or not, somehow it does make more sense to me AND it seems to be
easier for me to understand.

>  ("Fishers of men" indeed -- there are volumes of
>unspoken context behind those three words.)

Say no more. A nods as good as a wink to a blind man!

>>chay' vIta''a'
>
>QaQbe' ta'lIj.  pab DabuSnIStaH.

          vInIDqangqa'

>>cholughqa'qu'
>
>{lugh} means "*be* correct" -- you should say {cholughmoHqa'qu'}.

       veqlarghmo' vIghItlh

>>qatlho'neS ghunchu'wI' joH
>
>chopongHa'.  joHna' jIHbe'.  jIghojlI' neH.

Ok. I was just teasing. I'll stop.
            qavuvqu'
         'oy' DaSIQjaj

      vay' yIHub Hoch 'ej Hoch tIHub vay' - DumaS
vIta'pu'be' !!!   tlhIngan ghaH *Bart Simpson*'e'
Soqra'tIS           [email protected]

Back to archive top level