tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Feb 08 19:12:53 1996

Re: KLBC> HaDIbaHpu' le' mach

ter'eS writes:
>No, actually it refers to the second part of yab's reply; turned around and
>with some stuff omitted for clarity

{'e'} can't work that way; it stands for the *previous* sentence.
"...stuff omitted for clarity" is a unique way of putting things;
the "stuff" that is omitted appears to be the object of two verbs,
but since it's not there, I can't really tell what it should be.

>yuQ wIchargh 'e' wInID 'e' wIqaSqa'moH
>
>The problem with it is the phrase 'rammey Hoch', which refers to
>'wIqaSmoHtaHbogh' and should follow 'e', but of course can't.

I'm sorry, I don't understand.  How does it "refer" to the phrase?

>The whole phrase I would parse in English as: "We will do this (which we
>are doing every night): we try that we conquer the world."

{'e'} doesn't mean "this"; it means "that, the *previous* topic".

>I'm assuming that, since 'e' is a pronoun, it can be modified by a
>relative phrase.

I suppose {'e'} could be used *in* a relative clause, but it would
still have to refer to the previous sentence.

>> {toDujchaj lutobmeH/tera' luchargh luneH}
>> That was fun -- I preserved both the rhyme and the meter, with only
>> minor damage to the meaning. :-)
>
>majQa'. I didn't think you could do it.

qajey 'e' Dalajrupbe'chugh HIqaDQo'.
tlhIngan jIHbe' 'ach mu' SuvwI' jIHbej.