tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Feb 10 14:05:25 1996

Re: KLBC> HaDIbaHpu' le' mach

ghItlh ghunchu'wI':

> >> What's {'e'} doing there?  It can only be referring to Animal #1's
> >> question, but that doesn't seem right.
> >>

> ter'eS writes:
> >No, actually it refers to the second part of yab's reply; turned around and
> >with some stuff omitted for clarity
>
> {'e'} can't work that way; it stands for the *previous* sentence.

Well, that answers that.  You can't invert a sentence for emphasis, so a
sentence like *{'e' vISov: qoH SoH} is not legal, right?

My intention in this sentence was to avoid a literal object.  {Doch rap}
seems too concrete to me; I think {Doch} should refer only to actual
physical items.  {ta'} seems more goal-oriented than Pinky's question
warrants.  So tell me this:

Can you use a verb with {-bogh} by itself as an object?  That is, can
{wIqaSmoHtaHbogh} mean "that which we are doing"?

> -- ghunchu'wI'               batlh Suvchugh vaj batlh SovchoH vaj

 - ter'eS

Back to archive top level