tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 17 18:14:28 1996

RE: KLBC: Phrases

December 13, 1996 9:52 PM, jatlh Kontay:

> I have 116 phrases that I need help with.

{{:-O

> I translated them a year ago so I
> don't trust that I did them right. I would greatly appreciate any and all
> assistance with them. I shall break them up into 4 e-mails so to reduce the
> length of this e-mail.

And *I* shall only respond to those which need explanation.  I shall delete
anything which is completely correct.

> 2) little child
>     puqHom

{-Hom} means more than just "small" or "little," it means that the noun has a
lesser meaning than the original.  {mab} means "treaty," but {mabHom} doesn't
mean a shorter treaty, it's more like "informal alliance."

"Little child" would simply be {puq mach}.

> 13) five foreigners
>       novpu' vagh

When numbering things, the number word comes first: {vagh novpu'}.
Furthermore, noun plural markers are almost always optional, so this could
also be just {vagh nov}.

> 14) their five foreigners
>       novpu'chaj vagh

Same thing: {vagh novpu'chaj} or just {vagh novchaj}.

> 15) their treaties
>       mabpu'chaj

Treaties don't speak, so you must use the {-mey} plural suffix.  {mabmeychaj}.

> 16) our treaties
>       mabpu'ma'

Because they don't speak, you must also use the {-maj} possessive suffix.
{mabmeymaj}

> 17) due to your big hand
>        ghop'a'lIjmo'

Like {-Hom}, {-'a'} doesn't merely mean "bigger."  It means that the thing is
bigger, more important, or greater than the noun without the suffix.
Continuing my other example, {mab} is "treaty," while {mab'a'} could mean
"formal ties and great friendship between two governments."

Due to your big hand
ghoplIj tInmo'

Note that when using {tIn} adjectivally, you put Type 5 noun suffixes on the
end of it!  (TKD p. 50)

> 18) Klingons all over the place
>       tlhInganpu'mey

You cannot combine two suffixes of the same type, whether noun or verb.  If
you say {tlhInganmey}, you have successfully indicated the "all over the
place" idea.

> 19) little girl
>       be'Hom

Actually, check the dictionary.  {be'Hom} is listed, meaning "girl."  If you
want to say "little girl," say {be'Hom mach}.

> 20) big secrets
>       pegh'a'mey

Now, THIS is the correct use of {-'a'}!

> 25) I'm honored to talk to you
>       qajatlhneS

We believe that when using {jatlh}, the only object it is allowed to use is
the name of a language.  {qajatlh} means "I speak you."  This really doesn't
work.  Use {-vaD} for the "to you" part:

SoHvaD jIjatlhneS.

Also, consider

SoHvaD jIjatlhmo', jIquv.
Because I talk to you, I am honored.  (This is closer to the English meaning.)

> 26) We have eaten it
>       maSopwI'taH

nuqjatlh?  Check out those suffixes!  Besides having a Type 9 ({-wI'}) coming
before a Type 7 ({-taH}), neither of these are what you mean!  To indicate
that something is completed, use either {-pu'} or {-ta'}.  Which one you
choose depends on whether the goal was to eat.

maSoppu'.
We have eaten.

Notice that I didn't say "it."  This would be an object.  If you have "it" as
an object, you must use a different prefix: {wI-}.

wISoppu'.
We have eaten it.

> 27) They have spoken to one another
>        jatlhchuqtaH

{-taH} is the "continuous" suffix, not the "completed" suffix.

Also, {jatlhchuq} means "They speak each other."  This doesn't work.  It seems
an appropriate time to use a verb which Okrand provides: {ja'chuq} "confer."
(Note, there's a lot of controversy on this one!)

ja'chuqta'.
They have conferred.

> 29) We are always going.
>        maghoStaH

Weeeeelllll, this really means that at the time in question, the action of
going, or approaching, is continuous.  If you want "always," use the adverbial
{reH}:

reH maghoStaH.
We are always continuously going.

--