tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Dec 18 10:39:18 1996

Re: KLBC: Phrases

>Date: Tue, 17 Dec 1996 18:39:27 -0800
>From: "David Trimboli" <[email protected]>
>
>December 13, 1996 9:52 PM, jatlh Kontay:
>
>> I have 116 phrases that I need help with.
>
>{{:-O
>
>> 2) little child
>>     puqHom
>
>{-Hom} means more than just "small" or "little," it means that the noun has a
>lesser meaning than the original.  {mab} means "treaty," but {mabHom} doesn't
>mean a shorter treaty, it's more like "informal alliance."

This is true, and serves as a reminder that "-Hom" does not equal "mach".
Nonetheless, "little child" can still be well-translated as "puqHom."
That's certainly what I think when I hear it.  A "child-let" implies
similar "minor-ness", but in these situations, it happens that it DOES
equal size.  It just doesn't have to always.

>> 17) due to your big hand
>>        ghop'a'lIjmo'
>
>Like {-Hom}, {-'a'} doesn't merely mean "bigger."  It means that the thing is
>bigger, more important, or greater than the noun without the suffix.
>Continuing my other example, {mab} is "treaty," while {mab'a'} could mean
>"formal ties and great friendship between two governments."

This one is less clear, but I probably would still accept "-'a'" as well.

~mark

Back to archive top level