tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Dec 16 09:18:59 1996

RE: KLBC: civilian space duty

"Andrew 'Ska' Netherton" writes:
> > Of course, in Star Trek VI, the Klingon at Morska says something which sounds
> > like "Morska kay" ("kay" rhymes with English "ray"), and which is subtitled
> > "This is listening post Morska."  I have no idea what to *do* with that, of
> > course.
>         I was wondering about that... but I'm learning to take the movies
> with a grain of salt.  Or two.

Maybe half a grain would be appropriate.  The tlhIngan Hol in the
movies is actually pretty good; Marc Okrand himself coached many of
the actors.  But you should know that the officer at the Morska
outpost is definitely speaking with an unusual accent, and might be
using what the core of the empire would consider archaic speech.
For example, when he was referring "that ship", he clearly said
{Dujvetz}.  There's no {tz} sound in "High Klingon" (as we study it
on this list); it's apparently a dialectical variant of {tlh}.

It occurs to me that in idiomatic English, the word "bug" can refer
to a listening device; perhaps {Morska ghew} was meant to be a joke
for the benefit of anyone who could understand the accent?  Nah...

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level