tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Dec 15 12:47:17 1996

RE: KLBC: civilian space duty

December 15, 1996 2:11 AM, jatlh jo'Saq:

> 	I was wondering about that... but I'm learning to take the movies
> with a grain of salt.  Or two.

maj.

> > Actually, depending on how this phrase was functioning in the sentence, I
> > might say
> >
> > logh Hop tengchaH 'IjwI'
> > Space station listening post in deep space. ("Far space's space station
> > listener")
>
> 	I actually meant it to imply that the space station listens to
> deep space, not that the station is IN deep space, and listening to it.
> How would you differentiate between them?  <logh Hop tengchaH> versus
> <logh tengchaH Hop>?

They come out meaning more or less the same thing.  The former means "space
station of deep space," and the latter means "space's far-away space station."

In Klingon, you probably cannot use {'Ij} to mean "listen to" (this has been a
recently debated topic).  Rather, use the word {Qoy}.

Or how about {jIHmeH tengchaH}?  "Space station for monitoring."

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level