tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Dec 15 13:06:51 1996

RE: Dr. Okarnd Speaks -- lengthy

On Sunday, December 15, 1996 3:27 PM, Kenneth Traft[SMTP:[email protected]]
wrote:

Marc Okrandvo':  (!!!)

> Taking them up in order:
>
> (1) You suggested translating "Do you think it's possible
> for a Klingon to feel love for a Ferengi?" as:
>
> verenganvaD bang HotmeH tlhIngan qIt 'e' DaQub'a'?

[...]

> First, the word HotmeH means "in order to feel," (Hot
> "feel," -meH "in order to"), but Hot means "feel, touch,"
> not "feel emotions."

No surprise there...

> Second, the word bang is indeed a noun meaning "love," but
> it refers to the object of one's affection, that is,
> "beloved one."  (In Star Trek III, Kruge refers to Valkris
> as bangwI' "my love" in this sense.)

Unless we're talking about touching someone's loved one for the benefit of
a Ferengi...   Talk about sentences that'll get you killed on Kronos!

> So we need another way to say "feel love" for your
> sentence.  We do know that there is a Klingon word for
> "love," meaning something like what we mean by the word.
> It is parmaq.

Yeah!  Canon!

Although I wish it didn't come to us by way of Okrand's cleaning up after
some random writer at Paramount.  But still, here it is.  And, it's
decidedly a Klingon 'love,' not a Terran 'love.'

> Finally, you use the word qIt to mean "it's possible."  qIt
> is a verb meaning "be possible."  In your sentence,
> however, it's used in an odd way.  As you know, in Klingon,
> objects precede the verb and subjects follow.  Since qIt is
> a verb, what precedes it should be the object (here, "a
> Klingon feels love for a Ferengi," regardless of how you
> say that); what follows should be the subject.  But nothing
> follows. ('e' DaQub'a' is something else, and 'e' is the
> object of DaQub'a'.)  It's possible that the subject of qIt
> is "it" (presumably 'oH) and that the pronoun is just not
> uttered (not impossible); but what is "it"?  It has to
> refer to something, but, in this case, it refers to
> nothing, making the entire construct suspect.

No existential (pleonastic) use of "it."  Though one wonders about
/qay'be'/ in the same light.

> (2) You suggested translating "What is your favorite
> month?" as:
>
> jarlIj qaq nuq?

[...]

> So what about the "what" (or "which") of your original
> question ("What/which is your favorite month?")?  When
> asking someone a question of this type, you are really
> asking him or her to make a choice.  So just be a Klingon
> and order them to do so: "Identify the month that you very
> much prefer!":
>
> jar DamaSqu'bogh yIngu'

Wow, charghwI', you're right again (modulo /wIv/ for /ngu'/).  We see
Okrand recast his way around "what X", suggesting it's something we can't
directly do in Klingon.

> Qapla'!
>
>   - Marc

--Holtej