tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Dec 14 18:02:26 1996

RE: KLBC: civilian space duty

SuStel wrote:
:December 11, 1996 7:31 PM, jatlh jo'Sqa:
:> 	<logh tengchaH 'IjwI' loSmaH cha'>
:> 	space-listening space station number 42
:
:"Space station listener 42."  Do you think it means what you wanted?  Seems
:okay to me.
:
:Of course, in Star Trek VI, the Klingon at Morska says something which sounds
:like "Morska kay" ("kay" rhymes with English "ray"), and which is subtitled
:"This is listening post Morska."  I have no idea what to *do* with that, of
:course.

This is almost what I heard him say: /morski ge/. In the novel the line is
given as "This is Sentinel Kesla of Mortagh Outpost Three" (Paramount
apparently changed the name during a script rewrite). Assuming that the
actor was attempting to say what was in the script, the best I came up with
was "Morska jIH" ("I am Morska" in a version of "Morska, here"), guessing
that he was confusing "g" for "j" or misreading a cue card. But now, trying
to come up with alternatives to jo'Sqa's term 'IjwI' (which isn't bad for
"listening post"), I found jIH "monitor" (v) in the Addendum to TKD. Now,
the Addendum includes the new material from Star Trek VI according to the
cover of the 2nd ed. of TKD. Hmmm...

Not that this proves what the line was, but it does give us another
possibility to consider. FWIW, the rest of Kesla's lines were pretty easy
to transcribe when I did it about a month ago. There were even closed
captions for a couple. But not for this one, though. Any other ideas?

:> 	<Hop logh tengchaH 'IjwI'>
:> 	deep space-listenting space station
:
:Since {Hop} means "be far," it can be used adjectivally.  Whenever you use a
:stative verb in this way, it follows the noun.
:
:Actually, depending on how this phrase was functioning in the sentence, I
:might say
:	logh Hop tengchaH 'IjwI'
:Space station listening post in deep space. ("Far space's space station
:listener")

We do have canon for "deep space" BTW.  On Skybox card DS99:
	logh Hop Hut tengchaH   "Deep Space Nine [Station]"
Here, "logh Hop Hut" seems to be functioning as the translated Starfleet
name of the space station, not a class or type of station. If the latter, I
would have expected: logh Hop tengchaH Hut "deep-space station [number]
nine" (like DuS wa' "torpedo tube number 1" given in TKD 5.2).

cha' DeQwIj neH.

Voragh

Back to archive top level