tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Dec 14 15:51:45 1996

RE: KLBC: civilian space duty

December 11, 1996 7:31 PM, jatlh jo'Sqa:

> 	<logh tengchaH 'IjwI' loSmaH cha'>
> 	space-listening space station number 42

"Space station listener 42."  Do you think it means what you wanted?  Seems
okay to me.

Of course, in Star Trek VI, the Klingon at Morska says something which sounds
like "Morska kay" ("kay" rhymes with English "ray"), and which is subtitled
"This is listening post Morska."  I have no idea what to *do* with that, of
course.

> 	<Hop logh tengchaH 'IjwI'>
> 	deep space-listenting space station

Since {Hop} means "be far," it can be used adjectivally.  Whenever you use a
stative verb in this way, it follows the noun.

Actually, depending on how this phrase was functioning in the sentence, I
might say

logh Hop tengchaH 'IjwI'
Space station listening post in deep space. ("Far space's space station
listener")

Does this still work for you?  It's starting to get convoluted.

Better perhaps to break the phrase down and use those bits of it that you need
when describing whatever you are describing.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level