tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Dec 09 13:37:51 1996

RE: KLBC: "again"

December 06, 1996 11:21 AM, jatlh Thomas M. Zeman:

>      Is there an accepted way of indicating the concept "again"?  I can
> think of several ways to work around the meaning, but it seems like there
> ought to be a nice, concise adverbial for this.

Not an adverbial, a verb suffix.  The Type 3 verb suffix {-qa'} means again.
More specifically, it means that a state which had changed previously has come
into being again.

>      As in:  < qajatlhQo' > "I won't speak to you."

No, {jatlh} doesn't take any other object than a language (probably).  You
don't say "I won't speak you," you say "I won't speak *to* you."  {SoHvaD
jIjatlhQo'}

>  But what would be the
> best way to indicate "I won't speak to you AGAIN"?

SoHvaD jIjatlhqa'Qo'!

>  Suppose you wanted to
> convey that you grudgingly consent to speak with someone THIS time, but
> that you won't do it ever again?  Do we depend on context?

Not necessary this time.  Just use {-qu'} to emphasize the {-qa'}:

SoHvaD jIjatlhqa'qu'Qo'!

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian