tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Dec 04 19:51:03 1996

RE: ST5 Transcript: (was Re: KLBC: lut)

December 03, 1996 4:15 PM, jatlh charghwI':

> So, you have a psychic VCR, do you. It can actually tell you
> what the actors are trying to say, whether they manage to say it
> or not, regardless of backgound music and noise. Very
> interesting. I'll have to save up for one of THOSE.

I doubt you'll get one until after Christmas.  I just can't believe how fast
people bought them up!  It's almost as if the company KNEW people would buy
them that fast!

> > Vixis: chorghSaD qelI'qam HIvchuq'e' vInoH
> >
> >        "Estimating attack range in 8,000 kellicams."
>
> So, two of you heard the same thing and I heard something
> different. This does not bode well for charghwI'. I'd still like
> to have someone listen to it WHILE READING MY VERSION. If you
> then say I'm definitely wrong, I'll accept it.

Yes.  In what I wrote in my last message (which I haven't sent yet, so I feel
kind of bad about answering this twice), I first wrote down what you heard,
what I heard, and then went to listen to the relevant sections.  The one above
is definitely right.

> > Klaa:  HoS <bIrIHbeH>, cha'maH vagh vatlhvI' Hong QIt yIghoS      (?!?)
> >        <HoSbe' rebegh>,   "     "      "      "    "    "       (heard)
> >        "Stealth approach, slow to one quarter impulse power."
>
> I didn't understand this line at all. I didn't even try to
> transcribe it.

I also couldn't get the word after {HoS}.  voragh's second possibility above
is very close to how it SOUNDS.

> > I didn't hear Vixis say "maHIvmeH..." either.
>
> Then again, you probably weren't listening for it at the time.
> These lines ARE difficult to parse. They are not clearly stated
> and there's all that music and noise in the background. I know I
> listened to that line in particular a LOT of times without
> making any sense of it before coming up with what I wrote, and I
> can tell you, {maHIvmeH} is not clearly or strongly pronounced.
> It was just a weird syllable cluster at the beginning I kept
> ignoring until it made sense, or so I remember it.

I think you may be confusing different lines.  There is nothing at all before
{chorghSaD}.

> Meanwhile, the {-'e'} doesn't make any sense there.

But it's not wrong.  Still, I can't explain it.

> > Does anyone have a better idea for what the mumbled line subtitled
"Stealth
> > approach" is?
>
> I gave up on it. I didn't write down ANYTHING for that line
> because I could not understand any of it.

It took me quite a while too, but I suddenly heard {vatlhvI'}, and it all
clicked into place.  Klaa really does mutter that line.  But then, he was
supposed to be.

> > Klaa:  yISo'rup
> >        "Prepare to cloak."
>
> I noted that as {ghoSo'beH.} Now, if you were to ask me to
> translate "Prepare to cloak", I would say, {yISo'rup}. I don't
> think I would have transcribed {ghoSo'beH} unless what I heard
> was distinctly different from the expected {yISo'rup}. This is
> one of those things which makes me distrust parts of your
> transcription, since you are writing what one might logically
> expect one to say, rather than perhaps what was actually said. I
> listened to every line many times to try as best I could to get
> it right. I am less sure than you that I got every line right,
> but I suspect you should be less sure than me that YOU got it
> right. Your apparent confidence is not reassuring.

I just went and listened to this line again.  Here's what Klaa SOUNDS like
he's saying:

yISoru'

Obviously, the actor didn't aspirate.  The line was pretty clear.

> Parsing this stuff is hard.

jIQochbe'!

> > Klaa:  qerq
> >        "Kirk."
> >        DujHomDaq ghaHtaH
>
> I heard:
> lupDujHomDaq ghaH.

Well, what I *heard* is

Kirk!
DujHomDaq Ha'taH!

There is definitely no {lup} before {Duj}.

> > Klaa:  yISo'Ha'rup yIghuS
> >        "Stand by to de-cloak for firing."
>
> bachmeH yISo'Ha'rup.
>
> Maybe we have different editions? A director's cut or something?

It must be.  It is crystal clear: {yISo'Ha'rup! yIghuS!}

> > Klaa:  jIbaH
> >        "Firing!"
>
> I heard him say, {yIbaH} and I thought the subtitle was "Fire!"

Actually, I hear "hIbaH" (an "h", not an {H}), but will all the noise going
on, it could easily be a {y}.  I believe this was just a grammatical boo-boo.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level