tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Dec 04 19:51:25 1996

RE: jaH

December 03, 1996 6:40 PM, jatlh charghwI':

> > If we can truly be sure of nothing but
> > ghoS taking direct objects, then "yuQ vIbav" can no longer be considered
> > acceptable. (And I must say, I have problems with that use of bav anyway.)
>
> How exactly DO you use {bav}? I'm dying to see.

Actually, this is just one of those uncertain verbs.  "Orbit" does mean "go in
a circle around," so it could be {yuQ vIbav}.  However, English can use it
intransitively, too, as in "I've been orbiting for nine hours."  Now all you
have to do is say *where* this takes place.  {yuQDaq jIbav} would work in this
case.

There's no information either way.  Until the Federation Council makes policy
. . .

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian