tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Apr 29 19:09:38 1996

Re: {lab} vs. {lI'}

>I'm a newcomer, but I shall practice my Klingon virtues:
>
>I say the evidence on which these deductions are based is mere
>coincidence and that the difference between {lab} and {lI'} is
>precisely that between English {immigrate} (move (to a country))
>and {emigrate} (move (from a country)).  Both pairs can be used
>almost interchangeably: "He emigrated to Canada" and "He immigrated
>to Canada"  {De' lab yaS} and {De' lI' yaS}.  The only difference is
>that one stresses that a place was left/transmitted from and the
>other that a place was a destination.

I'm not really an expert on these issues, but it seems to me that which verb
you used would depend on your point of reference. When Valkris is sending
information, she is sending it away from her position, so she uses lab. When
Kruge tells her to begin transmitting, he wants her to transmit to him, or,
more importantly, *to* his position, so he uses lI'.

Just a thought. . .

maregh

Back to archive top level