tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Apr 29 15:29:29 1996

Re: {lab} vs. {lI'}

In a message dated 96-04-29 11:25:56 EDT, charghwI' wrote:

>According to Robyn Stewart:
>The only difference is
>> that one stresses that a place was left/transmitted from and the
>> other that a place was a destination.
>
>This is the most refreshing new twist I've ever read on this
>topic. If indeed Kruge were addressing Valkris and not a member
>of his own crew (which I still doubt), then this is the only
>explanation so far that seems to make any sense.

Here's my take: as you explained in a previous post, the language was based
on the *original English*.  I would claim that the Klingon was invented to
service that line.  Thus, the actual, intended meaning is "Transmit data . .
. now!"  If this is so, then surely you agree that Kruge would not order his
own crewman to *transmit* the data?  He would tell him to *receive* the data.
 From this, I believe that Kruge is, in fact, speaking to Valkris.  This is
why I like Robyn Stewart's interpretation, which seems to cover all of the
bases.

Of course, this is all my opinion.  If you disagree, then remember: rut
yIHmey ghom Hoch!

SuStel
Hovjaj 96328.2

Back to archive top level