tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Apr 17 09:56:21 1996

Re: New Method for Superlative?

>Date: Tue, 16 Apr 1996 22:14:05 -0700
>From: Steven Boozer <[email protected]>

>>>AAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
>>>Qu'vatlh! Whose side is this guy on? We now have the use of a
>>>stative verb used transitively in a parallel construction to
>>>the use of pronouns with an explicit subject.

>>Or it might simply be an error, and an intended {'oH} was lost.
>>This one is different enough from what we would expect that I
>>suggest we hold off even debating this until we can ask Okrand
>>for an explanation of the grammar behind it.
>>
>>-- ghunchu'wI'               batlh Suvchugh vaj batlh SovchoH vaj

>Or we could just check the citation (p.121) and see that the ORIGINAL POSTER
>made the mistake. The maxim actually reads:  bortaS nIvqu' 'oH bortaS'e'.

>Before we fly off on tangents, let's not forget:  yIvoq 'ach yI'ol!

Bizarre!  I finally read through the whole book (at least the Klingon
parts) last night and I saw the line, and thought "Oh, this is the one
they're worrying about online..."  but I didn't notice that the problem
wasn't there!  Weird.  You only see what you expect, I guess.

~mark

Back to archive top level