tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Apr 16 07:09:46 1996

Re: Mature Adults

>Date: Mon, 15 Apr 1996 22:18:18 -0700
>From: [email protected]

>I will not recommend our taking over the language unless MO does relinquish
>it to us.  Then I would suggest that the KLI be the central organization for
>adopting new words, even if individuals submit coinages.

That would be nice... but we'd have to get that power from Okrand himself,
or nobody will accept it.  And even then they may not.  Don't forget Glen
Proechel's organization, which has little love for the KLI.

>In America, apparently new words are coined by anybody.  If they catch on,
>they get used.  Elsewise they simply never make it.  Edgar Allen Poe coined
>"chortle" without seeking permission from anyone.

No, he didn't.  Lewis Carrol did.

~mark

Back to archive top level