tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Apr 16 07:16:15 1996

Re: Nouns as verbs & KLBC

>Date: Tue, 16 Apr 1996 00:33:20 -0700
>From: [email protected] (Ford Prefect)

>> How do you say in Klingon:

>[snip]

>> 2) "Don't behave like a fool!"
>> Would:  qoH yIDabe'. be O.K.(?)

>ghobe'. {qoH yIDaQo'} yIlo'.

Correct.  You need "-Qo'".

>> 3) Is it possible to use nouns as verbs. I know there are few
>>    nouns that are also verbs, but there is a (small indeed) number
>>    of them which are not verbs.

>I don't think so. Maybe the hot shots can help out...       >:)

>> I mean something contrary to: -ghach.

I doubt it.  Is it meaningful to have such a thing?  What would a verb
"book" mean (and don't tell me to reserve; that's an English idiom)?  Or
"to heart" or "to history" or "to shuttlecraft"?  There's no evidence of
any generic verbalizing construction that I know of.  There are ways to use
the nouns, though...

>Ford

You've got to do something about that .sig.  Three lines of added content
to a post and *twenty* lines of signature is a real nuisance and a waste of
bandwidth.

~mark

Back to archive top level