tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Apr 08 12:47:15 1996

Re: "Qo'noS ta'puq, Hamlet lotlut. lut 'ay' wa', lut 'ay'Hom

>Date: Mon, 8 Apr 1996 09:58:22 -0700
>From: [email protected] (Alan Anderson)

>ghItlh peSHIr:
>>DaHjaj pawpu' paqna' chovnatlhwIj 'e' vIparHa'qu'.

>paqwIj je vIHevpu' 'ej jIQuch jIH je.  rap qechwIj 'ach puj pabvam.

>By using the verb suffix {-pu'} on the verb {paw}, you imply that the
>book had already arrived when "today" occured.  Its arrival appears to
>be complete at the time the events in the rest of the sentence occur.

Don't be TOO quick to condenm -pu' usage.  It could make sense here: today,
my book has arrived.  i.e. I'm speaking in the present, and the book's
arrival is completed, accomplished by the time I'm talking about.  The
arrival may still have been today, though: earlier today.

DaHjaj megh vISoppu', 'ach wej 'uQ vISop.

~mark

Back to archive top level