tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Apr 08 12:43:40 1996

Re: Phonology

On Mon, 8 Apr 1996, Consulat General de Pologne wrote:

> Reading TKD I have found that the phonology section is very small.
>
> And because of that form time to time the names you transcribe into
> tlhIngan Hol break some basic phonological rules of the language.

Well, names are a special circumstance.  In the general case, we do not add
to the language, but strive to use it as presented (and occasionaly amended)
by Marc Okrand.  In this use of the language we do not violate Klingon
phonology.  With names, however, there is a long tradition of non-allowable
names, for instance, "worf".  The choice of a name is a bit more personal
than day-to-day use of the language, and we tend to be a bit more flexible.

The violations are known to us, and we recognize them as such and accept
them.

> macheq

--Holtej

Back to archive top level