tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Apr 07 21:25:27 1996

Re: lIHghach paS

ghItlh Ford Prefect:
>DaH jabbI'IDghomDaq vIlIH'eghlaH vIneH

bIlIH'egh batlh 'e' DanIDpu', 'ej bIQappu', 'ach...

TKD 4.2.1, explaining the verb suffix {-egh}, says "When this suffix is used,
the prefix set indicating 'no object' must also be used."  You should have
said {jIlIH'eghlaH}.

A minor point: in case you were trying to say "introduce myself *to* the
mailing list," what you wrote translates as "...*in/on* the list."  The
noun suffix {-Daq} indicates where an action takes place or is directed.
If you do mean "introduce myself to...", you need to use the noun suffix
{-vaD}, which indicates the "beneficiary" of the action (see TKD 3.3.5).

><Daniel Noll> 'oH pongwIj 'ach <Ford Prefect> mupong Hoch

When you give a specific noun as the subject in a "to be" sentence, that
noun always gets the topic suffix {-'e'} (see TKD 6.3).

[And the verb {pong} has always troubled us.  This use of it seems to force
us to use the verb prefix to indicate one of the objects while we state the
other object explicitly.  Oh, for a definitive explanation from Okrand!]

>cha' wej ghap ben tlhIngan vIghojtaH

"While a Klingon may be inaccurate, he is never approximate!" :-)
I don't think {cha' wej ghap ben} is quite grammatical, anyway.  It seems
to me that it would have to be {cha' ben wej ben ghap}, but I'm not certain.
Why did you use {ben} instead of {DIS}?  (I ask merely for information.)
I'm also not sure I like just tossing the time element in there without any
syntactical glue to tie it to the rest of the sentence.  If it referred to
a specific event I'd be a little more comfortable with it, but it's talking
about an extended period of time.  That's not quite a "time stamp".
I'd have said {tlhIngan Hol vIghojtaHvIS qaSpu' wej DIS}.

>vIQaghba' vaj vIQaghchugh HIja'

lu'.  Qu'wIj 'oH!

>qanuQchugh QoS jIH

qay'be'.
But remember to use verb prefixes -- this should say {jIQoS}.

>reH che'jaj <CHAOS> wo'

taQ qechvam DaneHbogh.
che'law'chugh "CHAOS", che'chu' paghna'.
qab "CHAOS".  QaQ batlh'e'.
SaHbe'chugh batlh, che'bej "CHAOS".
vaj potlhmo' batlh, che' "CHAOS" 'e' wIbotnISba'.