tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Apr 05 07:51:25 1996

Re: KLBC

According to Laurel Beckley:

> I missed the ba' SajwIj; I'm still not too good with word order or verb
> prefixes.  However, I did realize my mistake with Soj bIghaj.  About 1am
> as I was falling asleep, I suddenly said to myself, that should be Soj
> Daghaj.  As to paqvetlh vIngIplaH'a', how would you say it to mean you're
> asking permission to borrow the book.  I also came up with
>
> paqvetlh Daghaj 'e' vIngIp    I borrow that book you have.

In an effort to help out ghunchu'wI', the current Beginner's
Grammarian, who sounds like perhaps he is a bit busy, I'll
offer this. What you are really saying here is, "I want to
borrow the book which you have." If you look at section 6.2.5
of TKD, it will help you figure out how to say, "I want to
borrow" in what will more litterally become, "I want that I
borrow the book..."

You will also find sections 4.2.9 and 6.2.3 describing the use
of the suffix {-bogh} to take care of the "book which you have"
part of the sentence.

Enjoy.

> I'm not too sure of this one.  Is using 'e' right?

Nope, but it was a good try. It would be right if the action of
borrowing were referring to the action of having, but the
action of borrowing refers to the book, a noun. "which you
have" is a phrase pointing out which book you want to borrow.
This is a "relative clause".

> Is my English phrasing right?

Close.

> Well, that's all I have for now.