tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Apr 04 23:32:21 1996

Re: KLBC

In a message dated 96-04-04 01:17:39 EST, ghunchu'wI' responds to KLBC:

>>tlhIngan Hol vIHaD     I study Klingon
>>
>>but I couldn't figure out how to get every day into it.
>
>Temporal concepts are a common problem for newcomers.  It's not a direct
>translation at all.  As a first shot, you might try rephrasing it as
>"While every day occurs, I study Klingon." {qaStaHvIS jaj Hoch...}  My
>preferred translation for this at the moment is not at all obvious:
>{rInDI' jaj Hoch, tlhIngan Hol vIHaDta'}.
>
>>Another few sentences I tried are:
>>
>>paqvetlh vIngIplaH'a'?   Can I borrow that book?
>
>As long as you are considering ability and not permission, this is okay.
>"May I borrow that book?" would be
>
>>SajwIj ba' 'ej jIba'   My pet is sitting and I am sitting.  (I was trying
>>to figure this out in chapter six in TKD.)
>
>I'm glad you didn't feel the need to add the verb suffix {-taH}.
>
>>Soj bIghaj.  yISop.   You have food.  Eat.
>
>maj.  QaQlaw' Hoch.
>
>>Well, that's my attempt so far.
>
>Good attempts all.
>
>-- ghunchu'wI'               batlh Suvchugh vaj batlh SovchoH vaj

I have thought that time words/phrases placed at the head of a Klingon
sentence could be of the Noun+Adjective nature.  This would allow for {jajmey
Hoch tlhIngan Hol vIHaD}.

chomerta' !!!  {SajwIj ba' 'ej jIba'} mu'tlheghDaq wa' Qagh tu'lu' je 'ach
DalughmoHpu'be'
qar'a'     vaj lugh {ba' SajwIj 'ej jIba'} 'e' vIHar

peHruS

Back to archive top level