tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Apr 01 08:19:31 1996

Re: Nice picture & KLBC

[email protected] writes:
\
\ >No, check out p.101 of TKD, where it lists five different words for "phaser"
\ >depending on the type (pistol, rifle, etc.).
\
\ I know this, but pu' means phaser and pu'HIch means phaser pistol, If they
\ mean pu' they shouldn't say pu'HIch. You don't say batlhbe' when you mean
\ batlh, that would be stupid, and it could get you killed.

Two very different situations. {batlhbe'} and batlh are opposites.
{pu'} and {pu'HIch} are just different degrees of precision.

We have seen in all of Star Trek's incarnations that phaser pistols
are commonly refered to as just "phasers" - it would have gotten tiring
for Kirk always to be saying "phaser pistols on stun" (or "hand
phasers on stun" or "Type I phaser devices on stun").  It's even worse
if there's a mixed group of weapons. "Security, phaser rifles on stun.
Everyone else, phaser pistols on stun".

This is just a case where the Klingon is more precise than the
English.  If a Klingon points to an object and says {pu'HIch}, a Terran
confronted with that same object is liable to say simply "phaser".

-marqoS

Back to archive top level