tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Apr 01 20:38:38 1996

Re: Nice picture & KLBC

Daniel writes:
>>Can we use {meQ} adjectivally like this?
>
>I knew I couldn't really, but I couldn't figure out hou to turn burn into
>burned.

Depending on the interpretation of {meQ} as transitive or intransitive,
there are two different ways to describe a "burnt house".  If it is an
intransitive verb and "the house burns", {meQpu'bogh qach} is "the house
which has burned."  If it is transitive and "someone burns the house,"
{qach meQlu'pu'bogh} is "the house which has been burned [by someone]."

Of course, if we follow the CK example, it is simply {qach meQ}.

>I didn't think -lu' was possible in the list of verbs that I copied out of
>K3-1, dr. Schoener's program, it says: -lu' | 5 | indefinite subject, but
>isn't  there a definite subject in the sentence, Ha'DlbaHmey. I know you're
>the beginners grammatarian and al that, but you've lost me their.

No, in {Ha'DIbaHmey meQlu'pu'bogh DaSoptaH}, {Ha'DIbaHmey} is the *object*.
Some unspecified and indefinite subject has burned the animals.

[And I think the {pojwI} program you mentioned ("K3-1") was written by
d'Armond Speers ("Holtej"), not Dr. Schoen (Lawrence).]