tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Sep 02 04:03:55 1995

Re: }} tlh

yoDtargh wrote:
> Are you sure he said it was a fricative and not an affricate?  I think a
~> fricate would sound very different than the sound he makes on the tapes.

David Barron writes:
>Yes, I am sure. I recorded the interview and have listoned to many times.
>He said fricative.

He also called {'e'} a topic marker but consistently uses it as a focus
marker.  Whether he labels {tlh} as a fricative or an affricate, I think it
makes sense to copy the pronunciation he describes in TKD and uses on the
tapes.  This is apparently a case of "Do as I do, not as I say."

>BUT, Lets assume I  am in error. I will  reliston to the interview and if
>he said affricate I will let you  know.
>
>Here is a good time for Lawrence to jump into the discussion.

...as long as he doesn't have to jump into the Atlantic to do so. :-)