tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Sep 01 22:44:21 1995

Re: }} tlh

> On Fri, 1 Sep 1995, David Barron wrote:
>
> > In an interview on National Public Radio Okrand called the "tlh"
> > "an apical bilateral fricative". That ment to me that the one says a "t"
> > and then lets the air (this is the bilateral part) pass arround the sides
> > of the tongue, in a sence, whispering an "l". If you say it with enough
> > Klingon force you'll notice the sides of your cheeks puff out.
>
> Are you sure he said it was a fricative and not an affricate?  I think a
~> fricate would sound very different than the sound he makes on the tapes.

Yes, I am sure. I recorded the interview and have listoned to many times.
He said fricative.

BUT, Lets assume I  am in error. I will  reliston to the interview and if
he said affricate I will let you  know.

Here is a good time for Lawrence to jump into the discussion.
 ~

--
 David Barron                    ||           lup Hoch yIyInqu'
 Klingon Language Postal Course  ||           qaStaHvIS wa' lup

Back to archive top level