tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Oct 27 07:10:58 1995

Re: To The Klingon Community

>Date: Fri, 27 Oct 1995 00:42:13 -0700
>From: [email protected]

>A few days ago I discovered on the WWW the Nick Nicolas version of Hamlet and
>printed out a hardcopy.  Is this version at all authorized?

Partway.  It's our draft-in-progress, though I don't think it's the most
current in all its sections.

>Meanwhile, why does Nick Nicolas use {bIH} to refer to {lomqa'}?  Even if
>{lomqa} are plural inherently, the proper pronoun to use is {'oH} (TKD p24 &
>Sec. 4.1, 5.1).

Nick writes in his footnotes on Hamlet:

 "has this thing appeared again tonight" lit. "did the apparent energy-being
 appear again tonight?"  At various points in this scene, a distinction is
 made between spirits or souls (qa'), which belong to the supernatural, and
 energy beings (HoSDo'), who would be a "rational" explanation for the
 phenomena the watch are witnessing.  Similarly, the pronoun used to refer
 to the spirit changes (as it does in the Terran version) from "they" (bIH)
 to "he" (ghaH), as the watch come to identify it with the King.  Note that
 HoSDo' is always in the plural; Klingons (and most other humanoids) find it
 difficult to tell whether there are one or more energy beings in a room at
 any one time.

>peHruS

~mark

Back to archive top level