tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Oct 13 07:26:00 1995

Re: HolQeD 4.3

>Date: Fri, 13 Oct 1995 06:04:31 -0700
>From: "R.B Franklin" <[email protected]>

>I haven't finished reading it all yet, but one thing caught my eye.
>In the text of S8 - Bat'telh, Klingon Sword of Honor, there is the
>relative clause {qeylIS'e' lIjaHbe'bogh vay'}.  I'm thinking that this is
>a typo and it should be {qeylIS'e' lIjtaHbe'bogh vay'} (Kahless the
>Unforgetable).  If that's the case, it ultimately makes official the use
>of {-'e'} on the head noun of a relative clause.

>Can anyone confirm whether card S8 says {lIjaHbe'bogh} or {lIjtaHbe'bogh}?
>(It makes a big difference in the translation.)

I think it should have been "lIjlaHbe'bogh vay'".  This would make a lot of
sense, since it runs full in the face of the problem of having "-laH" and
"-lu'" on the same verb.  So it's "Kahless, whom none can forget" (or "whom
one cannot forget").  Had it been "-taH", Okrand would surely have used
"-lu'".  Work for you?

~mark

Back to archive top level