tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Oct 12 21:23:52 1995

HolQeD 4.3

DaHjaj jIQuchqu'.  The Klingon mailing list is back up and I got the latest
issue of HolQeD today.  (What more could a Klingon fan want? )  {{:-)

I've been looking at the section on the SkyBox trading cards with much
excitement.  Now I finally know how to say "Worf", "U.S.S. Enterprise" and
"Disruptor pistol" in Klingon.  {{:-)

I haven't finished reading it all yet, but one thing caught my eye.
In the text of S8 - Bat'telh, Klingon Sword of Honor, there is the
relative clause {qeylIS'e' lIjaHbe'bogh vay'}.  I'm thinking that this is
a typo and it should be {qeylIS'e' lIjtaHbe'bogh vay'} (Kahless the
Unforgetable).  If that's the case, it ultimately makes official the use
of {-'e'} on the head noun of a relative clause.

Can anyone confirm whether card S8 says {lIjaHbe'bogh} or {lIjtaHbe'bogh}?
(It makes a big difference in the translation.)

I also noticed that that card is the only one which does not have a tlhIngan
title.  Is that really the case, or was the title inadvertently omitted?

Unfortunately, I think Lawrence was premature in announcing the
resolution of using {je} with more than two nouns.  In the sentence
{Paramount Pictures malja' permey bIH Star Trek pong'e' Deghmey'e' je}, I
think there are really only two things being conjoined, the N-N construction
{Star Trek pong'e'} and {Deghmey'e'}.  But it does shed some light on some
other grammatical questions, i.e. whether a sentence can have multiple
nouns with "topic" markers and where to put the {-'e'} on a "to be"
sentence with more that one subject.

Does anyone out there have any of these cards that they would like to sell?
{{:-)

yoDtargh

Back to archive top level