tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 21 07:59:50 1995

Re: A sentence which I really don't think translates well into Klingon.

>Date: Mon, 20 Nov 1995 19:07:18 -0800
>From: [email protected] (Alan Anderson)

>>'Seek out the darkest place.'

>I like the way charghwI' warped this to fit the {law'/puS} formula,
>but it does lose the "imperative" that way.  So what DOES happen if
>we put {-bogh} on a verb with an imperative prefix?  I can't see it
>working in a "normal" sentence, but {law'/puS} might be different.

>(WARNING -- THIS MIGHT BE WRONG -- IT'S CERTAINLY WEIRD!)

>Daq yInejbogh Hurgh law' Hoch Hurgh puS

Weird... I'd say so!  Awfully interesting, though.  Krankor would probably
love it (I should tell him about it).  He loves getting Klingon to express
things that English can't really do neatly.  I'm honestly not sure this is
wrong.  I can't find a really good reason to reject it, and even my
instincts aren't telling me it's necessarily bad (maybe they're just too
intrigued).  Definitely cool.

~mark

Back to archive top level