tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Nov 20 19:05:50 1995

Re: jabbI'IDwIj wa'DIch

bIQHurgh writes:
>Hi everyone!

Hello, and welcome to the list!

>I'm new to this list, so I'd like to introduce myself. My name is Christoph
>Pfisterer and I'm from Dresden, Germany. I chose my Klingon name to be
>"bIQHurgh", translatable as "dark water".

To be perfectly honest, {bIQHurgh} isn't really translatable.  A noun and
a verb cannot be combined by us to make a new word.  That's not a problem,
though; if it's your name, it's just fine.

>I've written yet another a "translation" (just does the looking up for you,
>actually) program. It's called pojwI' and the Mac GUI version will be
>released during the next two weeks (hopefully). A portable command-line
>version will follow.

I've been looking for a [fast] Macintosh Klingon word analyzer.  I've not
had the time to write my own; I'll be happy to try out yours.

>I've also got a question: is it common practice to create compound nouns on
>your own, or are we limited to the noun-noun construction? Well, the
>question actually turns out to be >should I make my program recognize
>"newly formed" compound nouns?<

Please do make your program recognize compound nouns.  TKD's "permission"
to make compound nouns (section 3.4) isn't clear as to whether we may put
words together without spaces, but doing so is an accepted practice on the
list.

>"not verengan SoS yInuS" [verengan mIpchuHghach chut wejmaH wa'DIch]

QaQqu'!  'ach <mIpchoHghach> DaghItlh ghaytan 'e' DaHech.
                    =