tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Nov 20 14:41:44 1995

vocabulary

 uu> From: ur-valhalla!netusa1.net!caanders (Alan Anderson)
 uu> Subject: vocabulary
 uu> Message-ID: <v01520d01accb38bed596@[205.139.170.201]>
 uu> Date: Sat, 11 Nov 1995 21:50:22 -0800

 uu> Bill Willmerdinger writes:
 >I have always used {juHHov} "Home's star" simply because the Klingons of
 >TNG always talked about "Homeworld".

 uu> "Home's star" is specific to the speaker, and most Klingons would
 uu> think of it as the star around which Qo'noS orbits.  Since most of our

Put that down to my mind-set; when I deal with tlhIngan Hol, I find
myself thinking like a Klingon, and of course the Sun *would* be the
star of Homeworld.

 uu> difference between "sun" and "Sol".  "Sol" is the name of the star
 uu> Earth orbits.  "Sun" is a common term for a planet's star.  If you

And I know many people who would not know what Sol was if you showed
them on a map!  <g>

 uu> really do mean "the Homeworld's star", then {juHHov} is good.  If you
 uu> really want to mean Earth's sun, perhaps you should call it {tera' Hov}
 uu> (or {*Sol}).  If the specific sun is not important, I think {pem Hov}
 uu> will be understood by most people.

Agreed.

| Lieutenant Commander Qob vestai-qutvaj                     |          |
| Quadrant Adjutant, Northern Quadrant, Dark Moon Fleet, KAG |  NOR!    |
| Second and Communications Officer, I.K.V. Crystal Dagger   |  QUAD!   |
|     === Member, Klingon Language Institute ===             |  ROCKS!  |
| Fidonet:  Bill Willmerdinger @ 1:2613/477.1701             |          |
| Internet: [email protected]              |          |