tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Nov 11 21:49:18 1995

Re: vocabulary

Bill Willmerdinger writes:
>I have always used {juHHov} "Home's star" simply because the Klingons of
>TNG always talked about "Homeworld".

"Home's star" is specific to the speaker, and most Klingons would think
of it as the star around which Qo'noS orbits.  Since most of our text is
not concerned with which particular sun we're orbiting, "daytime's star"
is a bit more universally applicable.  It's like the difference between
"sun" and "Sol".  "Sol" is the name of the star Earth orbits.  "Sun" is
a common term for a planet's star.  If you really do mean "the Homeworld's
star", then {juHHov} is good.  If you really want to mean Earth's sun,
perhaps you should call it {tera' Hov} (or {*Sol}).  If the specific sun
is not important, I think {pem Hov} will be understood by most people.