tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Nov 16 08:25:29 1995

Re: Confusion and unconditional surrender (was: vocabulary..)

> On Wed, 15 Nov 1995, Alan Anderson wrote:
>
> > vanya writes:
> > >*slipper*meywIj mojpu' no'lI' SurghDu'  ;P
> > >
> > I like it!  Though I think it's not quite an insult.  It's more of a taunt.
> > If you want to emphasize an "I did it" meaning, you can say something like
> > {waqHom moj no'lI' SurghDu' 'e' vIqaSmoHta'}.  I've taken the liberty of
> > using the word {waqHom} here; I hope it fits what you want it to mean.
> >
> > --ghunchu'wI' 		batlh Suvchugh vaj batlh SovchoH vaj

Um, I'm not sure *waqHom* really conveys what I was trying to say -
basically apart from the humiliation of being made into slippers in the
first instance, slippers are inherently _delicate_ (implying "your
ancestors had soft skins" which I imagine is hardly complimentary to a
Klingon), which *waqHom* aren't necessarily.

Sheer pickiness aside, that's pretty much what I wanted to say, thanks :)
Unfortunately by the time I'd managed to pronounce all that, I'd be
wearing a pretty hole in my chest :( ... one day I will compose the
perfect Klingon insult... AND IT WILL BE *SHORT* >:)

> Um, excpet for that pesky TKD 6.2.5, "In complex sentences of this type
> [sentence as object], the second verb never takes an aspect suffix
> (section 4.2.7)".  Aspect needs to come from the verb in the sentence
> which is the object of /qaS/.
>
> --Holtej

Oops, caught speeding by the grammar police... ;)

vanya

Chris Atherton
[email protected]

"OOoooooeeeeeEEEE eeeeoo? Ooo oooee EE