tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Nov 15 13:46:34 1995

Re: lessons 4 and 5

I can't recognize any answers to this by subject, so...

> jIQeHtaHvIS *lessons 4 & 5* vIbachta'. ;)
>
> Oh. Wow. Um, I have a question...? ... using a continuous aspect-marker
> in "WHILE I was being angry", is it then okay to use a perfective marker
> and say "I shot (completed action) lessons 4 and 5"? ... or do the two
> have to agree?

You are confused between "aspect" and "tense". As written in
English, "shot" is simple past tense, not perfective. For the
perfective, you would have to say, "While I was angry, I had
shot lessons 4 and 5." See the difference?

"While I was angry" is a time stamp telling you when the action
OCCURED. For the perfective to be appropriate, you would be
telling us that the action was completed before the time stamp.
At the time of the time stamp, the action was ALREADY complete.

bIQeHtaHvIS *lessons 4 & 5* Dabach.

"While you were angry, you shot lessons 4 & 5."

or

bIQeHpu'mo' *lessons 4 & 5* Dabachta'.

"Because you have been angry, you have shot lessons 4 & 5."

charghwI'
--

 \___
 o_/ \